Monday, September 22, 2008

Working Girl

Well I survived my first week of work and have even managed to come back for week two. . . Here's a little update on my return to the corporate world:

On Monday I arrived and had to watch a 40-minute training video on harrassment (what? I'm not allowed to whistle at guys when they walk by my cube?? Ridiculous! ) I then got oriented and had a bit of basic training (to write a new email I just have to click "compose mail". Facinating.) Things did improve around lunchtime, though, as they usually do. My boss, team leader, and a couple others took me to lunch at a mexican place. I love mexican food so this was a huge highlight.

On Tuesday, I had more training to do, but also attended a training meting at lunchtime. It was interesting to learn more about what MWH Constructors actually does. It was also nice to feel like I had a "real" meeting to attend-- filled with imformation that wasn't obvious.

On Wednesday things really perked up-- My team leader introduced me to the other team members who had been out the previous two days. There are 8 people on my team and a couple of the guys are my age, which is a huge plus because I was thinking that everyone I was working with would be way older and therefore harder to connect with. I also realized that I already knew about 5 people in the company pretty well, so that was encouraging too. It was funny though, because I'm not used to being in the business world and I was a little bit surprised when everyone I knew already shook my hand instead of giving me a hug when they saw me again :)

Also, my team leader told me about a trade show we will be attending in san francisco. MWH constructors won an award and so we basically just have to go out there and spend a couple hours a day manning a booth and talking to people about the company and then the final two days all we have to do is go to a $100/head cocktail party and then a $175/head dinner the next night. Black tie. I'm super excited, especially because our good friend Tony lives ou there so I'll have a chance to hang out with him! I love to travel so this was a huge perk for me! Then we had indian food for lunch with my boss and team leader. It was yummy. I think I might be addicted to Saag.

On Friday I had my first staff meeting. It was the first opportunity I had to spend time with my group, so that was a plus. We all went out to lunch afterward too and had some delicious sushi! I think I am going to get spoiled by all the free lunches I've been getting! I got to talk a little more with the guys here who are my age, so that was good. I found out that one of them lives at 19th and Pearl, so really cose to where I used to live/work, so that was pretty cool.

As far as actual work, I haven't had much. I've edited some tables, etc. But they are kind of in a lull around here, so I haven't been too busy. It will be nice when I get some work to occupy my time. . .

So, overall it was a pretty good first week. I think this job isn't going to be as bad as I thought it could be, especially because I'm going to be in charge of trade shows for our company, so that will involve some travel.

Well, I guess that's all for now, I hope you are having a great week so far and I'll talk to you soon!

3 comments:

tonyleachsf said...

one note from the corporate world... did you know that you're completely free to harass/discriminate based on height or hair? calling someone "baldy" is completely appropriate - and you're allowed to only hire people over 6' tall.

tonyleachsf said...

oh - and i'm already planning things to do (i really mean places to eat) when you come visit)...

Sarah said...

What!?! You are not allowed to to use cat calls in the working world anymore? Thats it I am never going back to work!!!!!