From Kelly:
Well, as I write I am sitting with my feet up in a big comfy chair, looking out over the bay bridge and San Francisco bay. There are sailboats, blue skies, and palm trees-- and someone is playing the violin. Boy, do I feel lucky to be here!
So far the trip has been pretty great. My boss (Misti) and I arrived yesterday, dropped our stuff off at the hotel and then went out to do a boat tour of Alcatraz Island. I had done the tour before, but it was still cool to see and to hear the stories I had since forgotten. The weather was gorgeous and the views from the island back to the city were beautiful. After the tour we had dinner at a restaurant right on the water and ate as we watched the sun set behind the golden gate bridge. It was very romantic. . . :) I'm so lucky to have a boss that I really do get along with. We have become great friends over the years (I worked with her before at another company, so I've known her about 4 years now) and so far we have been getting along really well on this adventure.
After dinner we came back to the hotel and I was ready to crash. However, our friend Tony lives here in the city and invited me out to have a drink with him. I decided I just couldn't resist checking out a little more of the city, so I ventured out-- and I was so glad I did. Tony, Michael (Tony's friend), and I had a great time talking and laughing at this cute little place by Tony's house. I even tried a new drink! Don't ask me what it was called, though it did involve egg whites.
Hanging out with the boys gave me a twinge of wanting to move to a different place and experience some new things. I wish Mike and I had the flexibility to be able to pick up and move, but then when I think of all our ties and I realize that's just not a possibility for us. We both have jobs that we really shouldn't leave, we have so much stuff we'd have to store/move, and we have a house that's just not sellable in this market. Still, I feel like the world keeps moving forward without me and that the glamourous life is somewhere else. I guess what I really need, though, is to just stop buying into the myth of the grass being greener on the other side.
Today Misti and I had breakfast in the hotel and then worked our booth. It was a pretty good time. I got a ton of freebies from the other exhibitors, so that was a bonus. I even got one of those cool aluminum water bottles. The guys sitting around us were pretty cool, too, and in our downtime we had fun joking around with them. Lunch was amazing. They had 5 different food stations and in the center was a chocolate and waffle station. I swear I'm bound to gain at least 10 pounds on this trip!
So, now I am trying to keep my eyes open just a little bit longer (staying out until 2 on a work night was just not one of my best ideas), and waiting to go to dinner with Tony this evening. I'm so anxious to get outside! It's so beautiful and people are out and about. Looks like fun!! I'm sure my energy will perk up once I get going.
Anyway, I hope you are all doing well that that your grass is plenty green where you are. Talk to you soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment