Thursday, October 9, 2008

Ah, Voting

THE POLITICAL VIEWS EXPRESSED IN THIS BLOG ARE SOLEY THOSE OF THE AUTHOR/SPEAKER AND DO NOT REFLECT THE VIEWS OF ANY OTHER MEMBERS OF THIS HOUSEHOLD.

From Mike: So, is anyone else torn between the two major presidential candidates this year? Sometimes I wish I was not unaffiliated so I could just vote straight ticket and be done with it.

Kelly and I received our mail ballots on Tuesday, so I was mulling over everything I’ve heard Senators Obama and McCain say during this seemingly endless election season and discovered that I agree with aspects of both party’s policies. I honestly have no idea who to vote for! I agree with McCain on the economy, abortion, gay marriage, and the power of the federal government, but I agree with Obama on the Global War on Terror, immigration, the environment, and that Governor Palin was the wrong choice. Also, I agree with McCain on healthcare reform, but I agree with Obama on the elimination of preexisting conditions. Not to mention the fact that Kelly would probably divorce me if I didn’t vote for Obama. Seriously, I think my brain has exploded trying to weigh the two candidates. Who would’ve thought that voting could be this difficult?? I mean, it’s not like I’m electing the leader of the free world or anything…

Okay, enough about that. Let’s move on to more important matters: Halloween. Kelly has decided to be a bee for Halloween. Initially, I was going to be a beekeeper, but then Kelly suggested that I be honey…hehe, nice double meaning, right? Yeah, well, that idea got scratched because Kelly later decided that it was too cutesy. So it’s back to being a beekeeper. Maybe I’ll put fake blood on my suit and be a dead beekeeper, because being a regular one just reminds me of myself in high school…minus the braces and the saxophone.

I like Halloween, and not just for the candy (even though last year someone told me that I was too old to trick-or-treat), but also for the pumpkin carving! Our friend Beth is having her annual pumpkin carving party where we all go out to the pumpkin patch to find that special orange globe of jack-o-lantern goodness and attempt to show off our artistic skills, or lack thereof. I’m glad the party is going to be a held a little closer to Halloween this year, because last year the trick-or-treaters that came to my house were greeted by a smelly rotten pile of mushy orange skin with an unintelligible pattern carved into the front of it. Although I was the only house whose pumpkin did not end up smashed in the middle of the street the next morning…

Kelly is leaving on a business trip to San Francisco this weekend and won’t be back until Wednesday. Although I am jealous that she’s going, it means that I can do pretty much whatever I want while she’s gone! I fully intend on temporarily reverting back to bachelorhood as I fill the weekend full of video games, football, and unhealthy eating. Kelly, being the wonderful, nurturing wife that she is, reminded me that there are carrots, celery, bananas, fish, chicken, salad, and healthy leftovers in the fridge, and that I have no excuse to eat pizza the whole time. Haha, it’s amazing how well she knows me. As much as she may not believe me when I say it, I am going to miss her SO much!!

That’s all I can stand to write now, so until next time! I hope you’re all having a great week!

2 comments:

tonyleachsf said...

2 reasons for Obama you might not have thought of:
- Net Neutrality. If you need more on that, let me know.
- He'll get the country's smartest people to work for him - who he can hire will be more important than who he is. Think Warren Buffet working on the economy, or Lawrence Lessig working on tech policy.

But yeah, it's all anyone can talk about...

Next time you should come to SF with your lady!

Carolyn said...

Ooo, I hear ya brother, I'm not too pleased with the options on the Republican ticket this time. You just have to look at your priorities I guess: God, Family, Work, etc... Not to mention, lots of praying! Um, on another note, can Brianna and I come visit you and pig out on pizza this Sunday?! Adam is ditching us for the Broncos game and I miss my brother and Bri misses her Uncle Mike!